[mythtv-users] Live TV Program Change Over

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Tue Mar 27 00:51:43 UTC 2012

>> I have had always had an issue during Live TV during the change over form
>> program to another (not a channel change).  In < 0.25, there would be an
>> ~5
>> second “freeze” at the change over point, but playback very reliably
>> always
>> continued playing after the freeze.
>>
>> With 0.25, the reliability of the continuation of playback has become
>> rather
>> suspect with it frequently crashing back to the MythTV menu with the
>> “live
>> buffer failed too many times” (paraphrased).  The other night, my wife
>> was
>> up all night with a sick kid and told me that “the TV kept giving me this
>> error message every 30 minutes”.  I didn’t put 2 and 2 together until
>> tonight when it died on me during the local news –> nightly news and then
>> nightly news –> what ever was next.  So I looked back at what she was
>> watching that night and sure enough, it was all 30 minute sitcom reruns.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions for addressing this?  I’m wondering if maybe
>> giving Live TV a second storage group on a separate disk from the first
>> Live
>> TV storage group might help?  It occurs on my MBE/FE locally as well as
>> my
>> remote FEs.

>There is another recent thread about a similar problem on changes to
>and from commercial breaks. It seemed to be traced to changes in the
>audio stream going from program-->commercial (and maybe the other
>direction too). Might this be the same problem?

>I found it...
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/509778#509778

>You may have a similar problem?

Though I don't know for sure, I don't think this is the same issue.  I've
seen this issue for quite some time (as in back to possibly even 0.23
days?), it occurs when Live TV changes from one program to another on the
same channel.  There is a significant pause (a/v freeze is a more accurate
description) while Myth takes care of everything it needs to do to do this.
More like what Mark describes in #3 here
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/454127#454127.

However, since my conversion to master, the "a/v freeze" quite often doesn't
recover and ultimately crashes to the Myth main menu and the "video
buffering failed too many times" (again paraphrased) error message pops up.

The reason I am wondering about having multiple storage groups on separate
disks for Live TV is because possibly it could reduce some I/O load at these
changeovers?  I can't test right now, stuff recording, can't stop backend.