[mythtv-users] Live TV Program Change Over

Pieter De Wit pieter at insync.za.net
Tue Mar 27 01:03:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

I "had" the same issue. I posted it to the group but was in a rush and
didn't include all the details. Anyways, here goes:

My system had 1x IDE 250gig harddrive. I noticed that a few of the .24
patches caused these type of freezes when flipping over. It would skip a
few frames and resume playing. Not a big issue. In .25 this became much
worst. I have never fallen back to the Main Menu, but the pauses was bad.

At this moment, using LVM, I have installed a 70gig SCSI harddrive and
everything is served from there. I plan to move the "livetv" storage group
to the IDE but havn't gotten to it yet.

This has reduced the pauses back to less than a second, much more
acceptable. It would prove to me, that the IO requirement is heavier in
.25 than it was in .24.

I have noticed a lot of queries in the mysql-slow log that doesn't use
indexes. Although they are served quickly, they still generate IO.

Using "iostat -x 1" it will show the IO per disk, you might want to use
"iostat -x 1 sda sdb sdc sdd" if you have LVM and a lot of Device mappers.

Have a look at the IO during a change over. Perhaps this is motivation for
an upgrade :)

Cheers,

Pieter