[mythtv-users] convert video format

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 13 13:45:41 UTC 2012

On 12/12/2012 08:57 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> Googling the filename does seem to show a few places to download a
> similarly named file :)
>
> Josu, if you are using a file like that and want to post to the list about
> it use a different filename!

No. The point is that we don't allow discussion of use of stolen video
on this list, at all.

This is not a "wink, wink, let's do it using alternate filenames so The
Man doesn't know what we're talking about, because, obviously, we're all
thieves" rule.  We (this list--and, especially, the developers
associated with this project) do not want any discussion of
copyright-infringing activities on this list, at all, because we do not
want to be considered thieves just because we want to have control over
our DVRs--or, worse, we don't want the project killed because someone
decides to sue the MythTV developers because they think we're creating a
software product whose primary use is to aid in copyright-infringing
activities.

So, please end this conversation, and take the discussion of how to make
your badly-encoded stolen file (and, generally, the files that don't
play well are stolen files--because of all the stupid encoding options
they choose to make them small enough to distribute) play back on your
system somewhere else.  And, yes, those of us who have mentioned the
rule will recognize if another thread starts up using a different
filename (and so would any competent media-industry researcher,
too)--so, really, somewhere else.

I really don't care if those of you who support his illegal activities
all have an off-list, direct-email conversation with him or if you want
to start up your own mailing list, but no more discussion here.

This list is only for the discussion of MythTV and law-abiding use of
MythTV with legally-obtained media.

Mike