[mythtv-users] convert video format

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 13 17:36:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 04:10:59PM +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
> >
> >> EEEM.1x48.Bogota.DVBRiP.Pica.avi
> >

> > Googling the filename does seem to show a few places to download a
> > similarly named file :)
> >
> > Josu, if you are using a file like that and want to post to the list about
> > it use a different filename!
> >

> Josu I am unsure if you have ion or ion2.
>
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/280.13/README/supportedchips.html
>
> tells me that ion supports feature set B1 and ion2 supports feature set C
>
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/280.13/README/vdpausupport.html
>
> tells me that Feature Set B does not support xvid style codecs, Feature Set
> C does.
>
> However I have always found xvid stuff plays ok in cpu. mediainfo shows a
> bitrate that shouldn't be unreasonably high even for a single core atom.

    I have some SD content transcoded from DVD rips in xvid. They're pretty old
and date back to when the performance difference between h264 and xvid encodes
was big enough to matter.

    These throw performance warnings in external players when played on an Atom.

    I would not be surprised if HD xvid files are unplayable on an Atom.

    ...plus it probably ultimately comes down to the individual file.