[mythtv-users] Setting up custom MythVideo Grabber

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Aug 28 02:53:41 UTC 2012

On 8/27/2012 22:05, ajp at cantabrian.co.nz wrote:
> As I understand it you can define a custom script, python etc., that
> runs when you do a video scan. If I understand correctly this script
> then updates the metadata for each video it finds.

Not quite. The script only returns data in the XML format defined on
this page. The Video Library parses that data, and handles updating the
database.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Universal_Metadata_Format

> Trouble is I can’t find how to define which script is run

The metadata setup in mythfrontend will scan for executable files in the
expected location, and check to see if they return the expected "version
output" described on the above page. It presents a spinbox, allowing you
to select which of the discovered grabbers you want to use.

> nor am I exactly sure where I should place the script for my
> Fedora 16 MythTV 0.25 setup

Scripts are stored in $PREFIX/share/mythtv/metadata. I don't know off
hand what the value of "$PREFIX" would be on a Fedora system. Likely
possibilities are /usr or /usr/local.