[mythtv-users] Setting up custom MythVideo Grabber

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Aug 28 05:40:44 UTC 2012

On 8/28/2012 01:02, Michael A Weber wrote:

> However, the php script that builds the hot link is written to use
> IMDB with the TMDB number, which does not work for what should be
> obvious reasons.  And, since everything I've read states that
> everything is to be written over to use TMDB because using IMDB is a
> violation of terms for IMDB, having a script that uses IMDB with a
> TMDB not only doesn't work but its attempt to function itself is a
> terms violation.

IMDb has no problem with scripts generating links to their site, they
just don't want scripts scraping content from their site. Any kind of
automated metadata processing on their data is only supposed to be done
from an offline, text-only, database dump, available for download as a
massive compressed archive. We can send interactive browser sessions
there, we just can't have our grabber scripts operate there, of course
as you indicated, the link to IMDb isn't going to do much of any good
with it using the TMDb IDs.

I thought you were trying to do the same thing as the OP, which is write
the actual data grabber. An old version of the MythWeb video library
used to manually call imdb.py for metadata, and then manually insert it
into the database itself. I thought that's what you were trying to
patch, converting it to the new script, and I was saying the "proper"
fix would be to convert it to the Services API interface instead.