[mythtv-users] 0.25 VAAPI does it work

jr jraymyth at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:23:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM, fred watt <fredwattmythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> As a long time mythtv user I am unable to get VAAPI working. I am able to
> view a mythtv bbc one hd recording in VLC using VAAPI (looks very nice) but
> have never been able to playback the same or any recording using VAAPI in
> mythfrontend.
>
> Does VAAPI work?  Has anyone had success?  Does it work at all in 0.25.  Any
> one seen it work with 0.26 beta?
>
> I am running Ubuntu 12.04, MythTV 0.25.20120506-.  I have tried the stock
> libva/i965_drv_video with Ubuntu plus rebuilt libva/intel driver using these
> instructions http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VAAPI.  Each time the playback in
> mythfrontend stutters and is completely unwatchable.
>
> But using  same libraries with VLC as follows delivers great video
> (wonderfully to watch htop at this point and see almost no CPU usage -
> excellent).  The video was recorded by mythbackend -  BBC Sports in HD.
>
> vlc --ffmpeg-hw '6050_20120805192243.mpg'
>
> I have two front ends i3 & i5 clarkdale same issues on both.
>
> I have been trying well over a year to get this to work - I really can't see
> what I am doing wrong, or what else to try.  Any thoughts?
>
> "As an aside... we really love MythTV... we don't use it daily... but that's
> the point we can watch what we want when we want..  Thank you."

I was running a combined FE/BE with VAAPI.  I had a lot of trouble
with it in Ubuntu 12.04.  It stuttered and balked and gave me a purple
line down the side of my screen.  Hideous.  It was very frustrating.
Then I noticed that all of the success stories I was seeing were from
11.10.  So I wiped the box, and installed 11.10 following the steps on
the VAAPI MythTV Wiki page..  That solved it.   VAAPI worked as well
as VDPAU ever had.

Motherboard - DQ67EP
CPU -  i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W
4GB

I ran that way for a few weeks, then wiped the box again, put ESXi 5
on it and turned it into a combo 12.04 Mythbuntu Backend and Windows
Server for PlayOn, iTunes, etc.