[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Fri Mar 4 00:16:54 UTC 2011

> That's pretty good; my experience with parity RAID has been with hardware
>> RAID controllers where the write performance has been truly miserable (a
>> few
>> 10s of MB/s). Yet another example of how the embedded processors used in
>> most hardware RAID controllers have fallen behind software RAID running on
>> the main CPU (providing you have a core to spare).
>>

> Yes. About 6 years ago the company I work for bought large rack-mounted
> file servers (16 250G disks). We bought them from a vendor specialized in
> Linux clusters, whole racks with 1U servers and local file storage. The
> vendor tested both hardware and software RAID. High-end Adaptec RAID
> controllers were saturated at 90MB/s, while soft-RAID was going over 130MB/s
> easily. The reason was insufficient processor power of the RAID controller.

Very interesting thread has evolved here (at least for me, to learn more
about HDs/RAID/etc.).

I am currently thinking about setting up RAID5 in my desktop. Basically
going from an LVM with a few random drives I have -> 4x2TB RAID5 + 1 system
disk (trying to get all my stuff on one machine for various household
reasons, heh). Should I be getting an external/extra power supply, or a UPS,
for this setup? (Box is a Q6600/4gb ram/700w psu).

Thanks
Bobby