[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 20:47:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 2:33 AM, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk>wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Fedor Pikus wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't like parity RAID, but that's because I've seen poor write
>>> performance be a botttleneck in real-world performance.  Yes,
>>> capacity/Ł is
>>>

>> I have a RAID5 made of old 750G WD drives (which were actually some of the
>> faster drives when I bought them), write speed is about 130-140MB/s. A
>> pair
>> of Seagate 1.5TB Barracudas in RAID-0 give 205MB/s. How much faster do you
>> want in a desktop?
>>

> That's pretty good; my experience with parity RAID has been with hardware
> RAID controllers where the write performance has been truly miserable (a
> few
> 10s of MB/s). Yet another example of how the embedded processors used in
> most hardware RAID controllers have fallen behind software RAID running on
> the main CPU (providing you have a core to spare).

Yes. About 6 years ago the company I work for bought large rack-mounted file
servers (16 250G disks). We bought them from a vendor specialized in Linux
clusters, whole racks with 1U servers and local file storage. The vendor
tested both hardware and software RAID. High-end Adaptec RAID controllers
were saturated at 90MB/s, while soft-RAID was going over 130MB/s easily. The
reason was insufficient processor power of the RAID controller.

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net