[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 03:50:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:

> That's pretty good; my experience with parity RAID has been with hardware
>>> RAID controllers where the write performance has been truly miserable (a
>>> few
>>> 10s of MB/s). Yet another example of how the embedded processors used in
>>> most hardware RAID controllers have fallen behind software RAID running
>>> on
>>> the main CPU (providing you have a core to spare).
>>>

>> Yes. About 6 years ago the company I work for bought large rack-mounted
>> file servers (16 250G disks). We bought them from a vendor specialized in
>> Linux clusters, whole racks with 1U servers and local file storage. The
>> vendor tested both hardware and software RAID. High-end Adaptec RAID
>> controllers were saturated at 90MB/s, while soft-RAID was going over 130MB/s
>> easily. The reason was insufficient processor power of the RAID controller.
>>

> Very interesting thread has evolved here (at least for me, to learn more
> about HDs/RAID/etc.).
>
> I am currently thinking about setting up RAID5 in my desktop. Basically
> going from an LVM with a few random drives I have -> 4x2TB RAID5 + 1 system
> disk (trying to get all my stuff on one machine for various household
> reasons, heh). Should I be getting an external/extra power supply, or a UPS,
> for this setup? (Box is a Q6600/4gb ram/700w psu).

You can put 5 disks in one case, no need for external enclosure. Power
supply has to be able to handle the extra drives, but it's not that much,
700W PSU is more than enough even with a big video card. I recommend UPS
though: every RAID level except 1 increases potential danger of corruption,
you have to worry about damaged filesystem and RAID structure now.

Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net
http://wild-light.com