[mythtv-users] live TV program overrun causes loss of recording

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jun 28 14:58:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 06:50:59PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 06:17 PM, David Engel wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 01:23:54PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >> See, also, http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4879 --especially comments
> >> 6 and 8 by gigem/David Engel (where he's currently doing the, "One idea
> >> I have percolating is to add custom recording clauses that could be
> >> enabled or disabled easily in the recording rule editor for regular
> >> rules," part, which is what will allow find one for a specific episode).
> > What exactly are you envisioning here, Mike?  I hadn't given these use
> > cases much thought when adding the new filtering.  I imagine a couple
> > could kinda sorta work.
> > [...]
>
> Oh, yeah, now that I think about it, you and John were talking about it
> and decided that there's no real benefit to a specific-episode filter
> since the user would still have to provide the subtitle or programid of
> the specific episode, so they might as well just make a custom rule.
>
> And, yeah, I /personally/ think that find one makes a lot more sense
> than fuzzy start/end time matching.  I like that a timeslot is specific
> and that MythTV can warn me when a program I scheduled in a time slot no
> longer exists.  Based on the ticket, though, Stuart Morgan or Chris
> Pinkham may have had some thoughts on fuzzy time slot stuff.
>
> So, really, I wasn't envisioning anything--just trying to remember what
> I had heard you guys discussing about the new feature.  Sorry for
> getting the story wrong.

What I think we need is an easy and convenient way to create a "Record
one showing of this EPISODE" rule.  The "Custom Edit" menu optioon is
convenient, but probably isn't easy enough for most users.  It would
be fairly easy to have another menu option create an appropriate
custom rule for the user, but I'm not sure that's the right way
either.  Casual users shouldn't have to deal with custom rules, even
if they are automatcially created.  I think it might be better if a
"Find this episode" rule was integrated with the other non-custom
rules.

David
--
David Engel