[mythtv-users] live TV program overrun causes loss of recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 27 22:50:59 UTC 2011

On 06/27/2011 06:17 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 01:23:54PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> You should, instead, use "find one" rules--which allow you to record the
>> show, regardless of the start or end times.  Unfortunately, this means
>> you'll also have to watch for other showings that would match the "find
>> one" rule--which may mean, especially when setting up the rule a long
>> time before the airing, that you'll need a custom rule to get the right
>> episode.  (I'm pretty sure, though, that 0.25 will include an ability to
>> do a find one for a specific episode of a series.)
>>
>> See, also, http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4879 --especially comments
>> 6 and 8 by gigem/David Engel (where he's currently doing the, "One idea
>> I have percolating is to add custom recording clauses that could be
>> enabled or disabled easily in the recording rule editor for regular
>> rules," part, which is what will allow find one for a specific episode).
> What exactly are you envisioning here, Mike?  I hadn't given these use
> cases much thought when adding the new filtering.  I imagine a couple
> could kinda sorta work.
>
> A filter like "(TIMEDIFF(program.starttime, RECTABLE.starttime)<
> '00:15:00') OR (TIMEDIFF(RECTABLE.starttime, program.starttime)<
> '00:15:00')" might work for a fuzzy single recording.  The UI would be
> counterintuitive, though -- create an all or channel rule then enable
> this filter.
>
> A filter like "program.progamid = RECTABLE.programid" and a find-one
> rule would work nicely to match an exact episode in most cases.  The
> problem would be not being able to warn the user that doing this with
> a generic programid wouldn't make senes.

Oh, yeah, now that I think about it, you and John were talking about it
and decided that there's no real benefit to a specific-episode filter
since the user would still have to provide the subtitle or programid of
the specific episode, so they might as well just make a custom rule.

And, yeah, I /personally/ think that find one makes a lot more sense
than fuzzy start/end time matching.  I like that a timeslot is specific
and that MythTV can warn me when a program I scheduled in a time slot no
longer exists.  Based on the ticket, though, Stuart Morgan or Chris
Pinkham may have had some thoughts on fuzzy time slot stuff.

So, really, I wasn't envisioning anything--just trying to remember what
I had heard you guys discussing about the new feature.  Sorry for
getting the story wrong.

Mike