[mythtv-users] Fedora 14, lirc woes

Jeremy Enos jenos at ncsa.illinois.edu
Sat Jan 29 23:46:57 UTC 2011

So I've had Lirc working in all previous mythtv setups, but this move to
the kernel is really throwing me.

I had it working with FC14 until the latest kernel update.  But I did it
by leaving out the lirc rpm and building my own 0.8.7, as I've done with
lirc device to be /var/run/lirc/lircd too.   That was with kernel
2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64.  Then I updated to 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.x86_64,
rebuilt lirc as I did before, but now it doesn't work.

So I decided it's time to punt on the custom build and finally figure
out how to use the lirc build that comes via rpm.  First, some info on
my configuration:
Fedora 14 64bit
Mythtv 0.24
Hauppauge 1250 ATSC tuner
Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver  (mceusb)
Hauppauge remote control codes

Before punting on my custom build, I actually did have it working to the
point where irw showed button presses on the remote.  Myth was
configured with the proper socket device, as it had been working before.

I can't get the rpm installed lirc to show any keypresses at all w/
irw.  I see that the kernel comes w/ an mceusb kernel module, which I
load.  The lirc driver list does not include mceusb for some reason
though.  So I'm probably failing right off the bat by not having a
configuration.

I have not been able to find a good step by step tutorial yet on how to
get the mce receiver working w/ the new lirc kernel integration.  Can
anyone show me or direct me to a guide that would be good from the
context of using the old lirc to the new model?  I can't figure any of
this out.
thx-

     Jeremy

[root at nas ~]# lircd -H help