[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu slow startup : 0.24-fixes problem?

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 17:09:10 UTC 2011

On 16/02/2011 13:21, John Reid wrote:
> I'm wondering why sometimes the f/e starts before the b/e.
> When this happens, I think the system gets a bit confused and this can
> lead to a shutdown.

Ah yes, I've seen this problem. If you are using mythwelcome and scripts
to automatically shutdown the system if idle for X minutes, but for some
reason the frontend starts up before the backend, then I think the
backend doesn't "notice" that the frontend is connected, and so the
machine will shutdown after the defined X number of minutes. I guess
this should be reported as a bug really.

In my case, I have set things up so that the frontend does not start
automatically (mythwelcome starts automatically, but not the frontend),
and I have trained myself not to be too eager to start the frontend when
the machine boots. Alternatively, you could put a "sleep 10" line or
similar in your .profile or similar to delay starting mythwelcome, if
you are worried.

Cheers,

John

--