[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu slow startup : 0.24-fixes problem?

Thomas Mashos tgm4883 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:01:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:21 AM, John Reid <johnbaronreid at netscape.net> wrote:
> On 16/02/11 11:55, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On 15 February 2011 22:11, John Reid<johnbaronreid at netscape.net>  wrote:
>>> Hi,

<snip>

>> Can't see what mythtv has anything to do with how slow it is for the
>> machine to boot.
> Good point. I'm wondering why sometimes the f/e starts before the b/e.
> When this happens, I think the system gets a bit confused and this can
> lead to a shutdown. I guess this is to do with mythtv, although is the
> management of the startup only in mythbuntu?

I'd have to look at the commit to find the exact change, but we did
make a change made in the Ubuntu packaging that could cause the
frontend to start before the backend. The change we made was for the
backend to wait until udev finishes starting before attempting to
start. We were having issues where the backend would start before the
tuners were loaded and also before mysql started. Now the backend
depends on udev to finish before starting. I believe there is
currently a bug report on this (i'd have to look it up), but we can't
have the frontend depend on the backend being started since frontends
can exist without a backend