[mythtv-users] ffmpeg working on eac3/truehd/dts-HD audio streaming

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 18:24:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 26 November 2010 19:23, GZ <gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Could bitstreaming HD audio be a possibility for inclusion in 0.25?  I
> think
> > that would be pretty sweet.
>
> If it's supported and included in ffmpeg by the time 0.25 is schedule
> for release.
>
> Then yes definitely ; I already have the UI ready for it.
>
> Note, that MythTV 0.24 already supports E-AC3 and TrueHD, however myth
> will do the decoding and output it as LPCM 7.1
>
> >Any people with an NVidia 9300/9400 IGP
>
> I'm a tad unclear if those chipset actually supports DTS-HD passthrough.
> This was one of the new feature of the GT210 and GT220 when they were
> announced.
>
> For a start, nVidia got it wrong with their channel ordering over
> HDMI. So if you use those as-is for HDMI and LPCM, your channels will
> be completely mixed up

Hi Jean-Yves,
Very cool that the myth should just be able to support the the bitstreaming
HD when the support comes out.
Near as I can tell, they are adding bitstreaming support for all of the
better codecs.  As you describe, the 9400 isn't capable of bitstreaming HD,
but I think it can bitstream EAC3.
Apparently, in order to do bitstream above 6 Mbps, the vid card needs to
support HBR (high bit rate).  I'm going to guess that the 9400 cannot do
this.  Having said that, it could be possible to bitstream low bitrate HD
over a 9400... The question that I cannot seem to answer is whether or not
the GT220 and GT210 are capable of HBR.  My understanding is that these
cards won't bitstream the HD codecs under windows, but I'm not sure if
that's an issue with the DRM and the protected audio path rather than a lack
of HBR.

Perhaps that channel ordering problem that you mention could also be
contributing to some inconsistencies with getting the bitstream audio to
work.  Hence the need testers.
-Greg