[mythtv-users] Duplicate Schedules

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Nov 23 23:56:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:38:51AM -0600, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 05:47:35PM +1000, Graham Maltby wrote:
> > The problem starts when this rule matches a program that has it's own
> > rule.  For example, "Richard Hammond's Invisible Worlds" has its own
> > rule (priority 0) and would normally be scheduled.
> >
> > However because the Documentary rule has already matched an earlier
> > program and is set to only record one program per day, Invisible Worlds
> > is not recorded as the rule has already matched for the day.
> >
> > The goal is to have a number of generic rules to pick up "random other
> > stuff" (documentary, movie, comedy, etc) that would not normally be
> > scheduled but could be of interest, particularly as Christmas approaches
> > and the programming content drops to nothing. :(
> >
> > Is there someway to set the order or priority which rules are applied in
> > scheduling?  Am I missing something in the setup of the rules that would
> > allow two programs to match in this way without manual intervention.
>
> Some of the scheduling details are covered in
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html.  What you're
> interested in is the overlap handling and i don't think that is
> specifically documented anywhere except the mailing list archives
> where it comes up occasionally.  The current logic goes like this when
> two or more rules cover the same program:
>
>   More specific rule type wins. (E.g. Channel Record > All Record)
>   Higher findid wins.  (Somewhat arbitrary, but ties need to be broken)
>   Earlier created rule wins.  (Ties need to be broken)
>
> While checking the above, I realized that when comparing a non-find
> rule with a find rule, it might not do the best thing.  The attached
> patch changes the behavior so that a non-find rule wins over a find
> rule.  It's untested, though, so please provide feedback if it helps in
> your case.

After thinking about it some more, that patch won't help you.  If
Invisible Worlds is only on one channel, you can change that rule to a
Channel Record rule.  After that, your only current option to not have
your documentary rule cover Invisible Worlds is to change the SQL in
that rule to not match Invisible Worlds at all.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net