[mythtv-users] [UK] - What's the best way to capture from a Sky digibox?

George Poulson george.poulson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 10:42:56 UTC 2010

For some reason I'm really struggling with this and would really appreciate
any pointers from those of you out there who have this working successfully.

My setup is an 'in the cupboard under the stairs' backend with two DVB-S2 HD
cards and 2 LNB feeds. In the lounge I have a digibox with a separate LNB
feed and an Acer Revo Myth frontend mounted on the back of the TV.

In addition to watching SD and HD recordings (and occasionally LiveTV) via
the myth frontend I would like to be able to access more channels by
capturing the (SD) video output of the digibox, but so far all my attempts
have been less than satisfactory.

Prior to me relocating my backend 'out of the way' it too used to live just
behind the TV, and I have previously fitted a Hauppauge HVR-1300 (combined
DVB-T, FM Radio and video capture) PCI card into the backend and linked it
to the digibox, but all I ever managed to capture from it has been a mixture
of lousy quality black-and-white video and out-of-sync audio. Compared to
watching the digibox output via the normal SCART connection I have also been
seeing huge delays. I've no reason to believe that the capture card is
faulty, but I just can't get it to work! I also don't have a DVB-T aerial so
I can't test that side of the card either.

I don't have a huge amount of time or money to spend on this and would
really like a solution that would 'just work' with minimal effort. Given the
present locations of my kit I would also prefer a video capture solution
that I can use on the Revo, even if it means adding a new USB(?) video
capture device and rebuilding it as a combined frontend & secondary backend.
For versatility I would also like to have the ability for Myth to change
channels on the digibox as necessary; I'm currently using a USB IR receiver
on the Revo frontend with a separate plug-in 'blaster' (but have never used
the 'blaster' side of it yet).

Any suggestions of working setups or hardware much appreciated!

George