[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat May 22 16:58:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 22 May 2010 17:43, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>>> I get that the iPad might be made to play mythtv video (If anyone should
>>> know I expect JYA would) - but it only has a 1024x768 resolution (786,432
>>> pixels that are not all used in widescreen ~ 589,824 16:9 pixels available)
>>> screen, so why would I want to play 720p or 1080i on it - and lose all that
>>> detail?
>>> I agree it might be a nice large remote control for mythtv (for the visually
>>> impaired? = Oxymoron!), but does it add anything over mythdroid on a N1?
>>>  (384,000 pixels)
>>

> The starting predicament is wrong anyway...
> very few movies are in 16:9 ; common on is 1.85:1 or 2.39:1
>
> So the scaling of 720p (1280x720) isn't going to be 1024 x 576...
>
> You're also going to watch videos at arm length...
>
> I've only used the iPad for 4 days ; the screen is beautiful... And so
> far, I *much* prefer watching a TV recording in bed on my iPad than I
> do on either my 13" (1280x800) or 15" (1680x1050) laptop... I can lay
> in whatever position I wish. The device is so light next to the
> laptop, it's absolutely awesome.
> I even find that it looks better than watching my 46" LCD TV 4m
> away... (looks bigger :) )
>
> When they announced the iPad, I thought, what for? it's just a giant
> ipod touch... Then I was given one... I can see what the fuss was all
> about. That form factor has got fantastic potential

My initial thought was "interesting, but I don't know that I'd
actually have much use for it". But my wife wanted one, so I bought
one. Similar reaction here. It really is a damned impressive device,
and a ton of fun to use, for all sorts of things. I spent a few
minutes last night setting up the air tunes server, dropped the
whopping $2.99 for the ipad/iphone app, and now have it on both the
ipad and my iphone, and it works fantastically well. The only problem
is that I hardly ever get to use the ipad, as its monopolized by my
wife and kids. :) I half-jokingly asked if we could get another one
now. My wife's response wasn't "no", it was "let's wait a bit and see
what they add when they come out with a second generation one and get
one then". So yeah, until you've actually used one for a while, you
really don't know what you're missing.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com