[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat May 22 14:16:11 UTC 2010

On Saturday 22 May 2010 08:02:16 am Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> When they announced the iPad, I thought, what for? it's just a giant
> ipod touch... Then I was given one... I can see what the fuss was all
> about. That form factor has got fantastic potential

I agree, but having an iPad as well as an E-Book reader seems redundant, they
are essentially the same form factor. I know Apple is pushing the iPad as an
E-Reader, but I fear there will be many different, and incompatible, sources
for content. I know Apple probably wants to grab the entire market with an
iTunes type "store", but the result will be that consumers suffer.

I can play a generic MP3 on an iPod, without having to get it from iTunes, but
I fear vendor lock-in for E-Books will be taken too far. There is no source
for generic E-Books that offers a reasonable selection, you may need to have
multiple devices in order to get the content you want.

Imagine if certain MP3 players would only play songs by certain bands
purchased from certain sources. It would kill the products.