[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat May 22 17:04:29 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 22 May 2010 08:02:16 am Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> When they announced the iPad, I thought, what for? it's just a giant
>> ipod touch... Then I was given one... I can see what the fuss was all
>> about. That form factor has got fantastic potential
>
> I agree, but having an iPad as well as an E-Book reader seems redundant, they
> are essentially the same form factor. I know Apple is pushing the iPad as an
> E-Reader,

No, not really. That's just one of many many MANY more things you can
do on it. That said, even friends, one with a kindle, one with a nook,
were very impressed by iBooks (especially the ability to have color
pictures/illustrations in an e-book).

> but I fear there will be many different, and incompatible, sources
> for content. I know Apple probably wants to grab the entire market with an
> iTunes type "store", but the result will be that consumers suffer.
>
> I can play a generic MP3 on an iPod, without having to get it from iTunes, but
> I fear vendor lock-in for E-Books will be taken too far. There is no source
> for generic E-Books that offers a reasonable selection, you may need to have
> multiple devices in order to get the content you want.

All of the project gutenberg books are available to ibooks. There's a
kindle app available, so you can read anything from amazon. There are
comic book apps, including a very well done Marvell one. Multiple
apps, sure, but all on one device.

> Imagine if certain MP3 players would only play songs by certain bands
> purchased from certain sources. It would kill the products.

See above. There are so many different content-gathering apps,
including multiple e-book reader apps (iirc, there's more than just
ibooks and the kindle app), I really don't see the problem here.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com