[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat May 22 14:02:16 UTC 2010

Hi

On 22 May 2010 17:43, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>> I get that the iPad might be made to play mythtv video (If anyone should
>> know I expect JYA would) - but it only has a 1024x768 resolution (786,432
>> pixels that are not all used in widescreen ~ 589,824 16:9 pixels available)
>> screen, so why would I want to play 720p or 1080i on it - and lose all that
>> detail?
>> I agree it might be a nice large remote control for mythtv (for the visually
>> impaired? = Oxymoron!), but does it add anything over mythdroid on a N1?
>>  (384,000 pixels)

The starting predicament is wrong anyway...
very few movies are in 16:9 ; common on is 1.85:1 or 2.39:1

So the scaling of 720p (1280x720) isn't going to be 1024 x 576...

You're also going to watch videos at arm length...

I've only used the iPad for 4 days ; the screen is beautiful... And so
far, I *much* prefer watching a TV recording in bed on my iPad than I
do on either my 13" (1280x800) or 15" (1680x1050) laptop... I can lay
in whatever position I wish. The device is so light next to the
laptop, it's absolutely awesome.
I even find that it looks better than watching my 46" LCD TV 4m
away... (looks bigger :) )

When they announced the iPad, I thought, what for? it's just a giant
ipod touch... Then I was given one... I can see what the fuss was all
about. That form factor has got fantastic potential