[mythtv-users] Firewire no longer required on HD STBs

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 21:14:56 UTC 2010

Eric Sharkey wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>>  So in theory it should be possible for a standard TV to tune, decrypt, and
>>  decode off-the-cable signals. Though I guess it would need a slot for a
>>  subscription card.
>
>Yes, and that's what cable card is all about.
>
>>  At which point the penny drops - the cable companies probably won't release
>>  a CI module as they'd rather make their subscribers pay over and over again
>>  for a grotty decoder box.
>
>The cable companies do release these modules, they just make the
>requirements for building a compatible device that very few companies
>actually make compatible equipment.  TiVo does it, and Silicon Dust is
>going through the process now, but there are only a handful of devices
>on the market because the contractual obligations are so onerous.

Actually, as I understand it, CableCard is not a CI module - though I
can see it's similar. Over here I see CI module slots on all sorts of
things - TVs, Freeview decoders, Sat receivers etc. In theory, the
box has it's own tuner, the CI slot is a common standard (hence the
name, Common Interface), only the viewing card and it's interface
with the CI module is proprietary - so as long as your provider will
supply a CI module, you can slot it in any device with a compatible
tuner and away you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Interface

But then, I realise I'm overlooked another issue - since it's a
European Standard, it fails the "not invented here" test for your
corporates over in the US.

--
Simon Hobson