[mythtv-users] Firewire no longer required on HD STBs

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Jun 30 19:55:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> So in theory it should be possible for a standard TV to tune, decrypt, and
> decode off-the-cable signals. Though I guess it would need a slot for a
> subscription card.

Yes, and that's what cable card is all about.

> At which point the penny drops - the cable companies probably won't release
> a CI module as they'd rather make their subscribers pay over and over again
> for a grotty decoder box.

The cable companies do release these modules, they just make the
requirements for building a compatible device that very few companies
actually make compatible equipment.  TiVo does it, and Silicon Dust is
going through the process now, but there are only a handful of devices
on the market because the contractual obligations are so onerous.

And if you happen to actually acquire such a device, they have a
disincentive to install it properly, so only persistent customers will
actually get it working, based on anecdotal reports.  But it is being
done.

What hasn't materialized is a low cost, low power firewire only
decrypter box that doesn't also do mpeg decoding.

Eric