[mythtv-users] Firewire no longer required on HD STBs

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Jun 30 22:15:56 UTC 2010

On 6/30/2010 17:14, Simon Hobson wrote:
> But then, I realise I'm overlooked another issue - since it's a
> European Standard, it fails the "not invented here" test for your
> corporates over in the US.

That has nothing to do with it.  Common Interface is a form of
conditional access.  The module checks whether the subscriber is
authorized to access the content.  If so, it decrypts the content, and
hands it over to the subscriber to do with as they please.

In contrast, CableCard is a form of DRM, which allows the cable company
to maintain control over the subscrib^H^H^H^H^H^H^H content
indefinitely.  Doing so requires the content to remain encrypted at all
times, and only pass back through the card for decryption at time of
playback, at which point it will only be passed back out through a
secure interface, preventing raw access to the data.