[mythtv-users] Cablevision requiring STB for all TVs in my area soon

Fred ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 14:22:23 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out my options now that I have received a letter in
the mail from Cablevision on Long Island (NY) informing me that "all your
televisions will require a digital cable box by September 28, 2010. Also,
without a digital cable box, your TV cannot access iO TV (r)." For those who
don't know, iO TV is Cablevision's digital channel package (anything over
channel 99). I have done some web searches which seem to indicate I will not
be able to record anything unencrypted, even with digital tuner cards. I
have one STB with an IR blaster, but currently I am also recording as much
as possible with two other analog cards.

Does anyone know if the STB with firewire that Cablevision rents will
provide any additional benefit? I am not renting three boxes, so I will have
to look at alternatives if necessary.

Thanks,

Fred