[mythtv-users] Cablevision requiring STB for all TVs in my area soon

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 31 14:33:43 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, August 31, 2010 08:22:23 am Fred wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to figure out my options now that I have received a letter in
> the mail from Cablevision on Long Island (NY) informing me that "all your
> televisions will require a digital cable box by September 28, 2010. Also,
> without a digital cable box, your TV cannot access iO TV (r)." For those
> who don't know, iO TV is Cablevision's digital channel package (anything
> over channel 99). I have done some web searches which seem to indicate I
> will not be able to record anything unencrypted, even with digital tuner
> cards. I have one STB with an IR blaster, but currently I am also
> recording as much as possible with two other analog cards.
>
> Does anyone know if the STB with firewire that Cablevision rents will
> provide any additional benefit? I am not renting three boxes, so I will
> have to look at alternatives if necessary.

Wonderful, since Cablevision will be taking over our smallish local franchisee (Bresnan).

Requiring the rental of an STB is very anti-consumer. I'd complain to anyone who will listen: franchising authority, State
PUC, politicians, the FCC, and anyone else you can think of.

It's essentially a rate increase without having to go through any approval process.

First the government requires you to pay for a digital tuner, then they allow the cable operators to prevent you from
using it?

If the STB has component outputs you could use an HD-PVR, but those outputs might not last for long.