[mythtv-users] US Pay-TV loses subscribers for the first time ever

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Mon Aug 23 20:41:52 UTC 2010

> Allowing cable companies to be ISPs was a horrible move. Back in the 1920s

What is interesting to me is that they are working hard on being the all in one providers to their customer base. With TV going IP, they are trying hard to get to market with IPTV as well. The interesting part to me is that they are intentionally keeping much of their IPTV stuff complicated and proprietary but it doesn't matter. It's not them pushing the cool new technology, it's the PEOPLE and open source and that is what will bite them in the ass in the long run.

I believe TV is tired, it's old, it's burdened with a very old means of income meaning overwhelming commercials. I believe it's time for the industry to find new ways to make money, which doesn't keep trying to take time away from the creations (shows/movies) to get more money but in the content itself.

I strongly feel that the way things are now will crumble, it just can't stay the same and it can't keep asking for more of consumers.