[mythtv-users] US Pay-TV loses subscribers for the first time ever

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 23 20:31:06 UTC 2010

On Monday, August 23, 2010 02:16:41 pm Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 8/23/2010 3:10 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > Here, the limit is 60GB.  I think that is a *very* calculated limit that
> > allows most people to web-surf, check e-mail, facebook, even youtube,
> > but not dump their cable-television subscription because replacing it
> > with an Internet feed of the same programming would overrun the 60GB
> > Internet cap for most people, I'd bet.
>
> Calculated? Ohhh, you betcha.

If you do dump your cableTV subscription your rate for an internet connection increases, and you have to pay even more for
a higher cap. They get you twice if you dare to try to beat their system.

Allowing cable companies to be ISPs was a horrible move. Back in the 1920s they realized they had to stop the studios from
owning the distribution system (theaters), so they banned that, but somehow it came back, more deregulation to "help"
things.

The market will take care of itself, at the price of screwing all the customers.