[mythtv-users] Is NVIDIA worth the bother?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 18:56:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:14, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also I would point out that I prefer nvidia not just because of the
>> hardware acceleration, but because of the great improvement in image
>> quality that I see with the VDPAU deinterlacers. It made a huge
>> difference on my system. They are really good.
>
> And none of that changes the fact that they are non-Free.

I believe you mean they are "non Open-Source". If I can get something,
legally, without having to pay a dime for it, that is free.

> If you care about Free Software and the philosophy behind it, this is
> a very significant downside.

So, are you also hand-writing firmwares for all your PCI/PCI-Express
cards, optical and hard-drives? Are you compiling your BIOS?

If you want to use NVidia cards with Open-Source drivers, the nv
driver is there for you to use and improve upon. However, at the
moment there are zero graphics cards with the capabilities of NVidia
cards that are supported with an Open-Source driver. Just as there are
zero hard-drives with an open-source firmware.

(NB: I was going to say there are zero motherboards with an
open-source BIOS, but http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards
would prove me wrong on that front).

As Open Source stands, it is always a compromise between the Open
Source you have, and the Closed Source you need. When there is an
available Open-Source alternative, I'm certain many will jump at the
chance and use it. But as it stands at the moment, you have to decide
which is more important to you. Your philosophical ideals, or your
technological needs.

Personally, I prefer to use Open-Source wherever I can. But when there
is no reasonable alternative, I use Closed-Source products to "bridge
the gap".
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston
Sent from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada