[mythtv-users] Lost my OS hard drive (also ran)

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 00:48:27 UTC 2009

> If you have two machines with significant local storage space, it's
> not hard to have them rsync to each other.
>
> There are some nice easily customizable scripts at this site to help
> set this up:
>
> http://www.math.ualberta.ca/imaging/rlbackup/
>
> You can use rsync's --link-dest option to efficiently store many
> snapshots in time of another system.

I recently started using CrashPlan and am very pleased. In the past I
have used variety of rsync methods or rsync based programs, but
nothing has worked as well or as simply as CrashPlan. There is
something to be said for simplicity. I once deleted a backup and the
source with rsync because I misunderstood one of the options and tried
it both ways. CrashPlan is free for personal use and lets you backup
to multiple local, network, and internet destinations with the same
backup. It is dead simple you just set up an account with the software
and it will show you all the computers you have the software running
on. You pick the folders to backup and how many versions you want to
keep. Then you pick which other computers to backup to and you are
done. It supports Windows, Linux, Mac, and even Solaris. It uses delta
copy like rsync so it is efficient with space, and it automatically
verifies the backups periodically. My main beef with it is that it can
only setup a single backup job, but I believe the ability to setup
different jobs is coming.