[mythtv-users] how could I provide program guide for users in China

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 03:35:37 UTC 2009

On 16/09/2009, Clark Lee <clarkchen900 at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

>  Hi, All,
>
>  I am not sure whether I should ask this question in user list or dev list.

Best place is probably xmltv-dev!

>  I am living in Beijing, China, where XMLTV or any other program guide information is not directly available. Even the channel information need to be setup manually.
>  I managed to get the EPG of my digital cable TV weekly, i.e. every Monday morning. The information include:
>
>  program Title; subtitle; starttime; endtime;
>
>  Now I use a perl script to fill these information into local mythconverg database directly. Not using the mythdatabasefill at all. This works for me. However, I would like to share the EPG to other mythTV users (title/subtitles in UTF-8 chinese, sorry if you can not read it). I am considering to set up a web host so that people can download EPG from there and get their program guide up to date.
>
>  My question:
>  1) what's the best way to provide EPG; should I use XMLTV format (which I am not fimiliar); or just plain text files and perl script to insert them into database directly?

I would recommend serving the data in XMLTV format so that it is not
just limited to MythTV users. The XMLTV wiki is found at
http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/Main_Page and includes information on
writing a grabber.

Note that if you do write an XMLTV grabber but do not have permission
to redistribute the listings data you want to provide, the grabber can
not be added to the XMLTV project's releases.

>  2) what's the definination of all the columns in program table? There are quite some that I guess should be useful but I don't know how to fill it.

If you write an XMLTV grabber and follow the XMLTV DTD then you do not
need to worry about the various columns in mythconverg.program, as
mythfilldatabase will process the XMLTV data and populate the database
correctly.

Cheers,
Nick

--