[mythtv-users] silent and low-power: AMD or Intel?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:36:20 UTC 2009

> And of course I forgot to mention that this is for a combined BE/FE. (me idiot)

HD now or later?

If later I would get the same system and pair it with a nvidia VDPAU
compatible card of 8400 or better.

> Anyway, so there is no noticeable difference between cool-and-quiet
> (AMD) and what ever the marketing term for energy efficiency is with
> Intel?

Idle differences at the lowest frequency and voltage are not that much
at 45nm. At the highest frequency Intel still has an edge. I mean the
65W 2.83 GHz Q9550s 45nm Quad core is hard to beat for efficiency but
that is probably way more CPU than you need.

John