[mythtv-users] silent and low-power: AMD or Intel?

barbex barbex at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:23:39 UTC 2009

> If this is a frontend only look at the ZOLTAC ION and the thread that
> goes with this. If this is a backend get a low end 45nm chip from
> either manufacturer and use cpu frequency scaling. The chip will use
> less than 20W at idle and at the lowest frequency.

And of course I forgot to mention that this is for a combined BE/FE. (me idiot)

Anyway, so there is no noticeable difference between cool-and-quiet
(AMD) and what ever the marketing term for energy efficiency is with
Intel?
I'm partially leaning towards AMD because I'm all for supporting the
little guy but Intel seems to be more involved with the open source
community... Decisions....

> Also use independent drives instead of a raid. That way you may be able to
> power down drives when not in use.

Oh yes, good point!

Thanks!