[mythtv-users] MythTV STB

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri May 22 09:54:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Vitani <vitani-mythtv at tfxsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was just wondering if you can buy a set-top box with a MythTV front-end
> on it? I've got a back-end all setup and working, and I'm currently using an
> Xbox with XBMC installed to watch my recordings (just using standard samba
> shares - no scripts) however this solution is not ideal (the main bug-bear
> being that I can't switch the Xbox on with the remote).
>
> I know I could build one (a quick Google brings up many walk-throughs) but
> I'd rather just buy a box online which I know will just "work". Are there
> any out there?

Basically "no."

Now that the ION boxes are coming out it'd be much easier for someone to
preconfigure mythbuntu on it and sell it for a small profit, but they're not
out there yet.

The big problem with selling something with mythtv "on" it is support.  Do
they point you at the base distro (or worse yet the mythtv web site) or do
they actually code review and "vet" every patch that goes in?  And then do
they manually update their own repository?