[mythtv-users] MythTV STB

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Fri May 22 09:59:36 UTC 2009

Hi!

Vitani wrote:
> I was just wondering if you can buy a set-top box with a MythTV front-end on
> it? I've got a back-end all setup and working, and I'm currently using an
> Xbox with XBMC installed to watch my recordings (just using standard samba
> shares - no scripts) however this solution is not ideal (the main bug-bear
> being that I can't switch the Xbox on with the remote).
>
> I know I could build one (a quick Google brings up many walk-throughs) but
> I'd rather just buy a box online which I know will just "work". Are there
> any out there?

I don't know the answer to your question (i.e. whether there are any
off-the-shelf ready-to-go Myth frontend appliances on the market), but I
thought I'd make the following point in relation to your expectations:

Given that frontend and backend need to have the same software version,
you should expect doing the software part yourself:

- you need to find an appliance that comes with the correct software
version,

- even if you do (or if you initially change the backend software
version to match the one on your newly-acquired box) you will want to
retain the ability to upgrade to a newer version later.

Cheers, Jan