[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 and seca3 encryption on DVB-S

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri May 22 09:51:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> David Lister wrote:
>
>   > Please remember that a lot of the developers are in the US, and the
>>
>>>  list servers are in the US. It might be perfectly legal for you, but
>>>  even assisting you to legally break encryption is a criminal offense
>>>  in the US. We'd all like to say "stuff the DMCA", it's a bad law that
>>>  criminalises several explicitly legal things - it it IS the law (in
>>>  the US, and now effectively in the UK under a different name) and
>>>  people coming under US jurisdiction have to bear it in mind.
>>>
>>>  THAT is why the list owner has requested that such topics be
>>>  off-limits on this list. The risk to the whole project is too great -
>>>  just one thread assisting you to legally view the programs you are
>>>  after would be enough to have the list servers seized, and the people
>>>  who run it arrested.
>>>
>>>  You now it's crap, I know it's crap, I think most people know it's
>>>  crap - but that's the law
>>>
>> SIDENOTE: I happen to have an unused housed server - I'd be more than
>> happy to setup a mailing list there, for exactly these kind of
>> discussions (Linux-related). Let me know if you think it would be of
>> some use.
>>
>> First off, I'm not after anything - my setup is working, I just joined
>> the debate, because I wanted to bring some sanity into it. I hate the
>> smell of fear and I hate it especially on public & democratic forums. Of
>> course I know about all this, but except for a few zealots' fabrications
>> and truth bending, there's nothing to talk about. I could accept your
>> position on ethical merits, but not as a result of your scare tactics
>> and anyway, not from a person who regularly _circumvents_ protections
>> (e.g. playing DVD's on your Linux machines - CSS circumvention, didn't
>> you know?!!!).
>>

> Actually I don't, what makes you think I do ? In any case, I'm not in the
> US myself and in the UK the legal system hasn't quite degenerated that far -
> but the twits in government are trying hard to catch up. It is true that I
> have most of my CDs on my MP3 player (I believe that's 'fair use' in the US,
> we have no such allowance in our copyright law).
>
>  I can't remember any forum where talk about playing DVD's
>> on Linux is forbidden and we're talking a "serious crime" here, not like
>> 100% legal use of SW CAM or HW CAM - inputs & outpus of which process
>> are identical and NO circumvention, NO copyright law breach and NO
>> illegal programming access takes place at all! Please, wake up and smell
>> the coffee.
>>

> The problem is that not all such use of a CAM&card is 'legal' in US law. It
> would depend on what the terms of service are, and many service providers
> will have small print in the contract restricting what you can do with their
> signal & card. Since a not insignificant use of such techniques IS by people
> breaching T&Cs, the list owner has stated that such discussions are
> [...]

If you're going to talk terms and conditions, most cable providers in the US
disallow recording when you sign up.  I reckon this list should ban all talk
about:
-playing dvds
-recording television that is not OTA
-watching a show on more than 1 frontend at a time
-commercial skipping
-watching a show that has been recorded more than once