[mythtv-users] mac mini overheating

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon May 4 02:29:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 08:26:23PM -0500, Nick F wrote:
> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Wouter van Atteveldt <
> wouter at vanatteveldt.com> wrote:
>
> > I am configuring a fairly new core 2 duo Mac Mini to use as a MythTV
> > front end. I've installed ubuntu using refit following one of the guides
> > around, and that seems to work pretty well.
> >
> > Unfortunately, after using it for around an hour or so it just stops
> > functoning and refuses to boot, the back and bottom are really hot. I've
> > installed lm-sensors and typed 'sensors' a couple times and the
> > temperature was running up even when I was not or hardly using the
> > machine. I only saw one fan that was running at 1500 rpm constant.
> >

> My older Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) mac mini show the following running
> Ubuntu 9.04 and while watching TV:

    I've got one of each of the last 3 releases of intel mini.

    None of them ever had any problems with noise or temperature.

    I am having some issues with vdpau I think but that is another matter...

    My "last version" mini runs pretty hot but hasn't seemed to suffer
for it yet. Although it does run in a pretty confined space (which is
why I started getting minis to begin with). Although that mini does run
slave jobs and is running 2 commflags right now.

    ...never crashed though.

[deletia]