[mythtv-users] mac mini overheating

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Mon May 4 18:16:29 UTC 2009

Hi Wouter,

> Unfortunately, after using it for around an hour or so it just stops
> functoning and refuses to boot, the back and bottom are really hot. I've
> installed lm-sensors and typed 'sensors' a couple times and the
> temperature was running up even when I was not or hardly using the
> machine. I only saw one fan that was running at 1500 rpm constant.

I've got a new mac mini I've been using for a month or so now as our
production mythtv frontend.  I see occasional situations where the backend
crashes and the frontend stops responding, but I don't think it is related
to hardware on the frontend.

I do see the boot issue that you mentioned, I think.  In those cases,
Refit comes up and automatically chooses the Linux partition.  Once it
gets to the black screen, it sits for a while and then eventually
complains that there isn't a bootable OS.  I've found that powering it
down and removing the power for a few minutes seems to get it back in
order.  Simply powering it down (and not removing the power) doesn't seem
to help.

To date, I've assumed that these issues have been more software related
than anything else.  I don't recall that the version of refit I'm using
mentioned the new mac mini in the release notes, so I'm not sure it's
completely supported.  It's probably time to risk a WAF reduction and see
if there are updates for things that could help.

Also, I'm not sure if it would be helpful, but I have made some notes on
my setup of mythbuntu on my mac mini here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:SredniV#Mac_mini_Setup

Jason