[mythtv-users] mac mini overheating

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon May 4 01:26:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Wouter van Atteveldt <
wouter at vanatteveldt.com> wrote:

> I am configuring a fairly new core 2 duo Mac Mini to use as a MythTV
> front end. I've installed ubuntu using refit following one of the guides
> around, and that seems to work pretty well.
>
> Unfortunately, after using it for around an hour or so it just stops
> functoning and refuses to boot, the back and bottom are really hot. I've
> installed lm-sensors and typed 'sensors' a couple times and the
> temperature was running up even when I was not or hardly using the
> machine. I only saw one fan that was running at 1500 rpm constant.

My older Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) mac mini show the following running
Ubuntu 9.04 and while watching TV:

applesmc-isa-0300
Adapter: ISA adapter
Master :    1618 RPM  (min = 1500 RPM)
temp1:       +57.5°C
temp2:       +55.0°C

Touch wood - I've never had any issues with it overheating (and it's run
Fedora 5,6,7,8,9 and Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10 and now 9.04)