[mythtv-users] Quad core, or stay with dual core?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 21:53:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:43 PM, plainfaceboy<plainfaceboy at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I priced up a UK MythTV system last year (front/back end in one box for
> living room), but then for a variety of reasons (and the prices going up) I
> never got the bits. I'm now wondering if I should consider changing what I
> had spec'ed - primarily the CPU, as I'm ready to go again?
>
> I had thought of;
>
> ASUS M3N78 Pro
> AMD 5050e
> Silverstone GD01-MXR (with the display)
> 4GB Ram
> PSU (Corsair HX520 or somethign similar)
> 1TB drive (will probably be storing music/photos on network drive)
> WinTV-NOVA-T-500
> WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus
>
> With the prices of Quad cores now more affordable I'm wondering if I should
> go for something like a AMD 9650 2.3GHz, as it's probably only an extra £30.
> However, I'm not sure how much benefit I would get in practice, and am also
> assuming it would run hotter and therefore noisier.
> Would be interested in people's experience.

I would stay away from that chip. This one has the TLB bug and will
use much more power than the AMD 5050e. Although I would not get that
version either. The 5050e is just a factory underclocked/undervolted
5600+. I'd get the 5600+ or similar and underclock/undervolt the chip
if I wanted to try to save a few W at idle. This way you will have the
full power of the chip when you need  it and the same low power when
the cpu is at idle.

Linux PHC has a driver that will let you under volt.
http://www.linux-phc.org/

John