[mythtv-users] Quad core, or stay with dual core?

plainfaceboy plainfaceboy at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 31 21:43:17 UTC 2009

I priced up a UK MythTV system last year (front/back end in one box for living room), but then for a variety of reasons (and the prices going up) I never got the bits. I'm now wondering if I should consider changing what I had spec'ed - primarily the CPU, as I'm ready to go again?

I had thought of;

ASUS M3N78 Pro
AMD 5050e
Silverstone GD01-MXR (with the display)
4GB Ram
PSU (Corsair HX520 or somethign similar)
1TB drive (will probably be storing music/photos on network drive)
WinTV-NOVA-T-500
WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus

With the prices of Quad cores now more affordable I'm wondering if I should go for something like a AMD 9650 2.3GHz, as it's probably only an extra £30.
However, I'm not sure how much benefit I would get in practice, and am also assuming it would run hotter and therefore noisier.
Would be interested in people's experience.

I'm also wondering if a WinTV-HVR-4000 would now be better than the two cards. I do want the analogue for my camcorder, and as I have a sky dish (FTV only) and two other dishes I inherited with the house  (combined into one lead) it seems to have just what I need? I'm assuming I would use the DVB-S2 (HD) for the sky box, although also assume I wouldn't really get anything in HD yet, but it would still receive all the channels as they are now, and would be there for future? Not sure why I missed this last year, unless I've forgotten a reason why I didn't consider it.

I could also ask about setting up the case display to show music file names so I can play music without switching the TV on, but am thinking that may be rather premature, but I would like to get something that could do that if possible (else I might end up with something like a squeezebox playing music from a network drive, and then I have loads of boxes, which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place!!

Thanks for any help.