[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Sat Feb 21 23:25:10 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2009 14:19:55 Nick Rout wrote:
>> Hasn't this got way OT now? A huge number of mythtv users aren't all
>> that interested in hulu/boxee as we aren't in the right geographic
>> area to even access them.
>
> Perhaps, but nobody made similar complaints about discussions of
> SchedulesDirect, which has the same geographic limitations.

Not quite - Hulu excludes Canada as well (at least for any content I
tried), so it's a purely US phenomenon.  It would be nice if that was
different, but...

> How long do you think it would be before somebody in the USA set up
> a "repeater" of some sort to distribute the content outside the USA? It's
> already been demonstrated that a lot of folks do not care about obeying the
> terms of license for the material in question.

As far as I know, there are already ways of accessing it from outside of
the US; however that brings us right back to license terms, etc.
Personally, I think geographical-based limitations on access to content
on the internet is ridiculous, but that's just my opinion.  I know that
I don't have time to watch all of the content that my Myth box has
recorded from my normal source, so I haven't really seen much point
myself in spending time in trying to get even _MORE_ content :-)

> If revenue can be made by this sort of distribution don't you think the BBC
> would pay attention, and look into similar possibilities with their content?
> Or any other non-USA network?
>
> I think it is topical, at least as much as most material here.

It's pretty tangential at best, but it is more on-topic than a lot of
things...

Matt White                          whitem at arts.usask.ca
Arts and Science Computer Labs      University of Saskatchewan