[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 21 23:34:20 UTC 2009

On Saturday 21 February 2009 16:25:10 Matt White wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 February 2009 14:19:55 Nick Rout wrote:
> >> Hasn't this got way OT now? A huge number of mythtv users aren't all
> >> that interested in hulu/boxee as we aren't in the right geographic
> >> area to even access them.
> >
> > Perhaps, but nobody made similar complaints about discussions of
> > SchedulesDirect, which has the same geographic limitations.
>
> Not quite - Hulu excludes Canada as well (at least for any content I
> tried), so it's a purely US phenomenon.  It would be nice if that was
> different, but...

I think SD did not include Canada at first, and that was certainly when the
most traffic here on the subject happened.

I agree that geographic restrictions are going to be very difficult to
enforce. Itjust shows that the "content owners" are living in the past. These
are the same people who insisted on region coding of DVDs, after all.

It's like the buggy whip manfaturers at the 19/20 century turn wanting laws
passed requiring all motorized vehicles to carry buggy whips.

Just because someone has made a profit from the public in the past does not
mean that governments are required to maintain that profit no matter how
obsolete it is made by advancements in the art.

--
beww
beww at beww.org