[mythtv-users] MBE loses tuners in SBE until I enter & exit from Mythtv-Setup

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 17:34:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Glen Hawksworth
<glenhawk at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 11:48 +0000, Nick Morrott wrote:
>
> On 08/02/2009, Glen Hawksworth <glenhawk at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>  Maybe the Mythbuntu guys should look at inserting a startup method that
>> allows for ubuntus apparent slow-off-the-mark network
>> connection/authentication.
>
> Have you tried temporarily starting the mythbackend service from
> /etc/rc.local?
>
> I would have expected to see a lot more mythbuntu users complaining
> here if it was a universal issue :)
>
> Where in the init sequence do your network and mythbackend services
> start? Have you tried altering the chkconfig data at the top of the
> mythbackend initscript to make it start later in the init sequence? As
> a data point my now-ageing MBE system has network starting at 10,
> mysqld at 64, and mythbackend at 86 in runlevel 5.
>
> Nick
>
> Hi Nick,
> I understand what you are saying and I am encouraged by it but I am not sure
> how to achieve it. Your comments have (as a side effect) helped me to figure
> out how to get the LCD screen on my server working every time the system
> boots (sudo update-rc.d LCDd defaults). I now know how to get something to
> start on boot but I don't know how to change the order of what is started.
> If it is as simple as ensuring that the networking starts before mythbackend
> then that would save a lot of headaches.
> Could you please explain how to set the order.
> Thanks,
> Glen

Not having read the whole thread, I don't know whether this has been
discussed, so here it is.  As of Ubuntu (and by derivation Mythbuntu)
8.10 the network connections are handled by the Network Manager
Applet.  This means that (by default) the network connections are not
established until the Window Manager is up.  This is bad times for
Mysql/Mythbackend/HDHomeruns/anything else that relies upon network
connectivity when coming up as a service, and will often leave them in
endless loops or broken without a service restart.

So, how to solve this problem?  Check out this, which is one of many
resources on how to restore sane behavior.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-979-having-a-static-ip-address-under-ubuntu-8-10

Robert "I hate the Network Manager"