[mythtv-users] MBE loses tuners in SBE until I enter & exit from Mythtv-Setup

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Feb 11 17:54:03 UTC 2009

Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Glen Hawksworth
> <glenhawk at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 11:48 +0000, Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>> On 08/02/2009, Glen Hawksworth <glenhawk at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>>  Maybe the Mythbuntu guys should look at inserting a startup method that
>>> allows for ubuntus apparent slow-off-the-mark network
>>> connection/authentication.
>> Have you tried temporarily starting the mythbackend service from
>> /etc/rc.local?
>>
>> I would have expected to see a lot more mythbuntu users complaining
>> here if it was a universal issue :)
>>
>> Where in the init sequence do your network and mythbackend services
>> start? Have you tried altering the chkconfig data at the top of the
>> mythbackend initscript to make it start later in the init sequence? As
>> a data point my now-ageing MBE system has network starting at 10,
>> mysqld at 64, and mythbackend at 86 in runlevel 5.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> Hi Nick,
>> I understand what you are saying and I am encouraged by it but I am not sure
>> how to achieve it. Your comments have (as a side effect) helped me to figure
>> out how to get the LCD screen on my server working every time the system
>> boots (sudo update-rc.d LCDd defaults). I now know how to get something to
>> start on boot but I don't know how to change the order of what is started.
>> If it is as simple as ensuring that the networking starts before mythbackend
>> then that would save a lot of headaches.
>> Could you please explain how to set the order.
>> Thanks,
>> Glen
>>

> Not having read the whole thread, I don't know whether this has been
> discussed, so here it is.  As of Ubuntu (and by derivation Mythbuntu)
> 8.10 the network connections are handled by the Network Manager
> Applet.  This means that (by default) the network connections are not
> established until the Window Manager is up.  This is bad times for
> Mysql/Mythbackend/HDHomeruns/anything else that relies upon network
> connectivity when coming up as a service, and will often leave them in
> endless loops or broken without a service restart.
>
> So, how to solve this problem?  Check out this, which is one of many
> resources on how to restore sane behavior.
>
> http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-979-having-a-static-ip-address-under-ubuntu-8-10

Yeah. Mandriva tried this same nonsense at one point, which meant that anything
that relied on the network at startup fell over. I got round that by installing
X but not having it start automatically (runlevel 3), then editing inittab to 5
by hand. Fortunately Mandriva saw sense almost immediately, and I haven't had
any problems since.

<rant>Now if they'd stop automatically installing Beagle, and start putting
sensible defaults on ConsoleKit, I'd be happy.</rant>

--

Mike Perkins