[mythtv-users] question involving multiple frontends

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 07:50:11 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>Is it possible to lock a card to a multiplex ? And is it possible
>>to have the system work with that ?
>
>>Yeah, you could do it by having separate Video Sources defined in
>>mythtv-setup for each capture card.

So that would be a case of configuring each card/source to use only
the channels on one multiplex then ? When a user changes from (say)
BBC 2 to BBC 3, the system sees that BBC 3 isn't available from the
current source, and automatically switches the a source that does
offer it ?

Hopefully the last question, is there any problem with more than one
person (or recording) using the same channel from the same card ?
Does the card driver simply split out the data stream for the channel
and feed it to each destination that wants it.

>>Over in the UK, we have a max of 6 multiplexes on terrestrial
>>digital. So with multirec, it would seem logical that with 6 tuners
>>it should be possible to access any combination of channels - even
>>well in excess of 6.
>>
>>But unless the system can cope with it, we'd still be in a position
>>where two LiveTV users could take up two tuners - set to the same
>>multiplex.
>
>Right.  So in this case, if you have people using LiveTV and don't
>want to buy more capture cards for them, you'd have to have 6 Video
>Sources--one for each multiplex.  Then, each capture card would be
>associated with a single Video Source.  It would be important to
>choose the Video Sources to associate with particular cards very
>carefully if you have multiple backends (to ensure that you don't
>have all the channels with interesting shows on the master backend
>and have a slave backend whose channels are never recorded/whose
>storage would never be used).

Good points there.

--
Simon Hobson