[mythtv-users] question involving multiple frontends

Adam Stylinski kungfujesus06 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 02:15:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 02/09/2009 06:06 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
>
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Simple formula:  1 capture card per simultaneous LiveTV user + 1 capture
>>> card per desired scheduled recording or 1 capture card per channel
>>> (multiplex, if using multirec), whichever is smaller.
>>>
>> I have a supplementary question to this, at the risk of thread hijack ...
>>
>> Is it possible to lock a card to a multiplex ? And is it possible to have
>> the system work with that ?
>>

> Yeah, you could do it by having separate Video Sources defined in
> mythtv-setup for each capture card.  The Video Sources could all use the
> same grabber.  (With Schedules Direct, the configuration would be
> transparent as it would still generally download listings for all Video
> Sources simultaneously--ignoring the lineup maximum on SD.  With XMLTV,
> though, it likely means running the grabber multiple times (so you'd likely
> want to use the XMLTV-provided caching capabilities).
>
>  Over in the UK, we have a max of 6 multiplexes on terrestrial digital. So
>> with multirec, it would seem logical that with 6 tuners it should be
>> possible to access any combination of channels - even well in excess of 6.
>>
>> But unless the system can cope with it, we'd still be in a position where
>> two LiveTV users could take up two tuners - set to the same multiplex.
>>

> Right.  So in this case, if you have people using LiveTV and don't want to
> buy more capture cards for them, you'd have to have 6 Video Sources--one for
> each multiplex.  Then, each capture card would be associated with a single
> Video Source.  It would be important to choose the Video Sources to
> associate with particular cards very carefully if you have multiple backends
> (to ensure that you don't have all the channels with interesting shows on
> the master backend and have a slave backend whose channels are never
> recorded/whose storage would never be used).
>
>  And getting even more off topic, does the same hold true for Satellite, or
>> does that use lots of different frequencies rather than a small number of
>> multiplexed streams ?
>>

> No idea.  Unencrypted satellite in the US doesn't offer much, so I've never
> looked into that.
>
> Mike

I mainly use the PC-HDTV 5500's because of their stance on Linux support
with their hardware.  I will continue to purchase through them because they
make an excellent product.  A bit pricey, yes, a bit sensitive to signal
strength too.  However I support a company that supports Linux.  They are
also extremely reliable.  The Mpeg-2 encoders on the cards are quite nice,
might I add.