[mythtv-users] Tuner Differences, was: Prebuffering pause

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Feb 8 10:20:14 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Saturday 07 February 2009 20:05:30 Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> It seems to be a HDHR issue; I put a splitter on the antenna and ran one
>> leg to the PCDHTV3000; it doesn't have the problem.
>
> Do both tuners on the HDHR behave the same way?
>
>> I'm guessing it's really bad at multipath rejection.
>
> Or the HDHR is more easily subject to overload.
>
> Getting both sensitivity and good high-signal rejection is hard to do, at
> least without a separate RF amp stage, which modern tuners usually don't
> have, they feed the antenna straight into the mixer, usually.

It might not be multipath. If you have two transmitters that are within say 30
degrees of where your antenna is pointing, you could be picking both up. The one
nearest the antenna direction will come in the strongest, because that's the way
the thing is designed.

Moving the antenna a few degrees may act like an attenuator to the strongest
signal, and allow the weaker to come through. Experiment with swinging it either
side to see how your reception changes.

Pointing an antenna directly at the transmitter of choice is not always the best
solution. Of course, if the two signals are in line, you're SOL.

--

Mike Perkins