[mythtv-users] Why did you pick MythTV VS the other PVRs?

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Fri Aug 28 21:01:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

I wanted all the advantages of a PVR, without the tie in of Windows Media
Center.  I was seriously tempted (as it does seem simpler to set up), but
the price tag put me off.  I also like being in control of the code, so even
though I haven't done so to date, I like to know that if I didn't like the
way something was working, I can dive in and change it (unlike Media
Center).

Also, being pretty new to Linux, I saw getting MythTV working as a bit of a
fun challenge and something I could learn from.  I've certainly learned a
fair bit and am still learning new things every day.  Admittedly, with all
the ATI issues I had, the box nearly ended up out the window several times,
but I am very pleased with the results to date.

I simply did some googling, and MythTV was at the top.  Reviews said how
great it was, and then I found that a colleague had also been having great
successes with it and I went from there.

Sadly, sounds like I'm going the same route as others.  The idea of the
networked system sounds sooo tempting, so the Gigabit network will be going
in soon and a few FrontEnds will start springing up early next year.  ;-)

Hope that helps,

MG
-----
"The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up
there's no law against whacking them around a bit."